- There are over 750 different species of trees in the Osa Peninsula. Around 80 of them endemic.
- 120 species of mammals inhabit the Osa Peninsula
- Over 400 species of bird dwell here
- Wildlife in this area is very easy to find.
- Jaguars are fairly common in the Osa Peninsula
- Humpback whales are the most common whale in the area
- Scarlet Macaw population is the highest in Costa Rica.
- You could even see a Tapir or two
- A new species of passion flower was discovered in the Osa Peninsula. (First new species of passion flower discovered in eleven years)
- Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager and Mangrove Hummingbird are endemic to the Osa Peninsula.
- Tropical weather is the classification of the Osa Peninsula
- The weather is some of the most enjoyable in all of Costa Rica
- The average max temperature year round is 90.08 degrees
- January: 91
- February: 92
- March: 92
- April: 91
- May: 90
- June: 89
- July: 89
- August: 89
- September: 90
- October: 89
- November: 89
- December: 90
- The average min temperature year round is 71.66 degrees
- January: 72
- February: 71
- March: 73
- April: 73
- May: 73
- June: 72
- July: 71
- August: 71
- September: 71
- October: 71
- November: 71
- December: 71
- There are 13 major ecosystems such as lowland rain forest, high land cloud forest, jollilo palm forest, mangrove swamps, also coastal marine and beach habitats.
- Very good chance of viewing Baird’s Tapirs, Jaguars, Scarlet Macaws, Harpy Eagles, Red-backed squirrel monkeys and White-lipped Peccaries.
- 23 miles of golden sand beaches that are lined with palm trees and are uncrowded. You may not see another person on the beach the same time as you.
- Every think of rinsing off in a waterfall? Well, you can definitely do that at Corcovado National Park.
- Over 40 species of frog live in Corcovado National Park
- If you love trekking, hiking and camping Corcovado National Park is the perfect place to do these activities.
- Our camping areas have restrooms, hand wash laundry areas, and outdoor showers
- Northern Whales start arriving in the Osa Peninsula during October and stay till the end of April.
- Southern Whales start arriving in July and leave in November
- The Golfo Dulce has an abundance of Humpback Whale births since there is little threat from larger predators
- Some of the humpback whales come from as far as Antartica. (11,500 miles away)
- You can sometimes see the calves jump to the top of the water for air.
- If you are lucky you can even watch the mother teach its calf how to breath and dive down.
- Marlin, sailfish, roosterfish, tuna, wahoo, and Mahi Mahi that can be caught throughout the year.
- The Osa Peninsula proves to provide world record catches year after year
- The water gets more than 1,000 feet deep in some places
- Very pristine and healthy surroundings for the fish is why the Osa Peninsula is able to produce so many records
- There are sightings of whale, sharks. sea turtles, manta rays and marine birds will make your experience one to remember
4 Amazing Reasons To Travel To The Osa Peninsula Costa Rica
1. Corcovado National Park
Referred to as the most biologically intense place on the planet, Corcovado National Park is something you will not want to miss. Taking up over one-third of the whole Osa Peninsula this park is full of life.
Corcovado National Park contains thirteen major ecosystems. It includes beach habitats, mangrove swamps, coastal marine, highland cloud forest, jolillo palm forest, lowland forest and more.
There are about 500 species of trees that inhabit. This park has 25% of the trees in Costa Rica.
Corcovado National Park inhabits the largest population of Scarlet Macaws in the country. There are also over 375 different species of bird so bird-watchers will not be disappointed.
There are 140 species of mammals, 116 reptiles and amphibians, 40 types of freshwater fish, between 6 and 10 thousand types of insects, and also over 220 types of butterflies. If you are a nature lover then I would just travel to the park to enjoy the beauty.
Other Reasons People Go To Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park offers many tours and activities such as Dolphin and Whale Watching, snorkeling and scuba diving in Cano Island, Sport Fishing, surfing, bird-watching, horseback riding, and even nighttime tours of the jungle.
Hikers would also love the experience of going through such a magnificent jungle. There are 4 ranger stations with their own sets of trails and they are The San Pedrillo Rangers Station, La Sirena Ranger Station, La Leona Ranger Station, and Los Patos Ranger Station.
2. Empty Beaches
Ever want a beach to yourself? The Osa Peninsula has over 800 miles in beaches that are empty or have next to no people on them. These beautiful beaches will give you the relaxation you deserve. Enjoy the peace and quite as you stretch out on your blanket and look at the beautiful sea that lays right in front of you.
Picture this. You are on an empty beach. Waves slowly coming up on shore. You and your love looking out over the ocean hand in hand. With nothing but the love of your life and mother nature. No distractions, just you two having the quality time you deserve. You will grow closer than ever with the privacy and peace offered here.
3. Outdoor Fun
Like offroad adventure then Costa Rica offers some exciting outdoors activities outside of the things mentioned in the first point. One of the most popular outdoor activities is zip lining. Zip lining over a beautiful jungle is a rush. You get a great view of mother nature while enjoying some of the best zip lining in Costa Rica.
Other off-road activities are four-wheel drive, ATV, and off-road tours. Think of driving an ATV with friends or family through an area as beautiful and exciting as the Osa Peninsula. See nature in its habitat as you fly by on your vehicle.
Something that is very popular in the Osa Peninsula is kayaking, canoeing, speed boating, river rafting and tubing. This is the perfect area for these activities. Located on the Pacific Ocean you can’t get a better spot for water activities.
4. You Can Stay At A Private Beachfront All-Inclusive Resort
It is true. There is a resort where you can get the benefits of a normal resort with the privacy you desire. One of the awesome things about The Whale Resort is that no other party will be at the resort staying with you. You will have two onsite pools and be within walking distance of the beach where you will share with no one.
You will not be waiting in line for food, or a massage, or any other amenity we offer. Our resort houses up to 14 in your party comfortably, but we will find ways to get the rest of your party setup.
Another neat feature offered at The Whale Resort is we customize your stay the best we can. If you need specific food in your diet or you want something not listed to be involved in your vacation we will do our best to find a way to accommodate that. Your vacation means as much to us as it does to you. We know that if you love your stay with us not only will you want to come back time and time again but you will also want to direct friends and family to have the same experience you have had.
We offer 3 bundled packages: Whale Watching Package, Deep Sea Fishing Package, and the Moor and Tour Package. Click each of the links to see what each package offers. We know you will not be disappointed.
What other reasons do you think would be amazing when traveling to the Osa Peninsula?